What drove human evolution? How did our species go from being a relatively unremarkable primate a few million years ago to the most successful species on the globe?
How has culture shaped our species genetic evolution, including our physiology, anatomy and psychology?
How can we use evolutionary theory to understand how people learn and transmit culture, and how does this lay a foundation for building a theory of cultural evolution?
How can we understand human social status? What’s the nature of prestige?
How can we explain the breadth, intensity and peculiar character of human sociality and cooperation?
What role has war and other forms of intergroup conflict played in human evolution, particularly in the evolution of cooperation and sociality?
In only about 12,000 years, how did human societies expand from relatively small-scale hunter-gatherer bands to vast and complex nation states?
What drives innovation and the process of cumulative cultural evolution?
How does cultural evolution shape our psychology, brains, motivations, hormonal responses, intuitive reactions, beliefs, worldviews and preferences? How can we account for the immense psychological variation we observe across the globe?
How can we explain the peculiar psychological and behavioral patterns observed in societies that are Western, Educated, Industrialized, Rich and Democratic (WEIRD societies)?
Joe Henrich on Twitter
- Thrilled to find this book in the mail! Proud to have a chapter on why some societies are more religious than others. Other cool chapters by @jaredcrubin,@JeanPaulCarv,@essobecker,@albertobisin,@ndjohnson,@MarkKoyama,@mikemakowsky,@BenitoArrunada. t.co/kE53co2Syr t.co/IV9Y6zHsZ9
- Interesting if truly based on copying. on the reading list. t.co/NOblgo6aw0
- My new video: Mushroom collecting with hunter-gatherer children in Congo rainforest t.co/wG0ogfBkry via @YouTube
- New review of research linking modern cultural differences to rice farming, herding, and other subsistence styles. Free full PDF download link (expires in 50 days): t.co/MAZ8wucStu t.co/aKzaVH4hL9
- Apply to do a PhD with myself and the very awesome Anne Kandler on models of cultural evolution!! Deadline is the 12th August t.co/M4ZUdoV0IF